A and J = Gardening Goals!

IMG_5017.JPG

This is part of a row of fall greens planted by my sister-in-law and brother-in-law – don’t they look luscious? Husband and I got leaves of salad greens, but never big, lush heads of lettuce that we could use. A and J have developed 8 or 9 100 foot rows of veggies behind their house, and they work awfully hard to keep the veggies and fruits coming all spring, summer, and fall – between the three seasons, they provide veggies for their own vegetarian lifestyle, local veggie restaurants, and a tiny farmer’s market they host in their hometown! I don’t want my life to be quite as garden-ful as theirs, but they sure do remind me how much more is possible! Will be spending some of the drive home today daydreaming about how to expand and improve for next spring. πŸ™‚

11 comments on “A and J = Gardening Goals!

1. allaboutme31 says:

Love this post! I understand the hard work since I see my do the same for our organic garden year after year.

2. Elizabeth says:

Our favorite is our raspberry patch which threatens to become the raspberry back yard! Great source of berries throughout summer and early fall.

3. lajuani says:

Mmmmmm, luscious looking indeed!

4. Angie says:

Oh, yummy looking.

5. Mel & Suan says:

Suan: aargh, I don’t have green fingers. Plants seem to wither under my care!
    Mel: nevermind, keep trying. Someday we’ll make it!

6. Ibraheem says:

I have seen red roses, pure love,,,, but green. Peaceful Love.

7. V.M.Sang says:

I don’t have much luck with salad greens!

8. Best suggestions for lettuce is not to focus on ones that form ‘heads’, such as that old standby Iceberg, that can only be picked once. Rather select loose leaf varieties such as Cos, Romaine or Oakleaf, that you can pick a few leaves and keep growing, coming back again and again through the season. Throw in some red mustard leaves or similar for a bit of a kick.

Liked by 2 people

9. From what I’ve come across, most varieties of lettuce available to the home gardener are looseleaf types. However, there is a ton of variety! You just need to find a couple that you like and that grow well in your soil/climate, and harvest before they start to bolt. Don’t just limit your greens to lettuce… there’s cress, arugula, mustard greens…

10. […] via A and J = Gardening Goals! β€” Recipe in a Bottle […]