Making Spaces for Writing… and Other Life Needs

Desks come in and out of my life like recipes do – part of a long chain of other friends and their stories. Husband’s desk is a big heavy blue desk that his grandmother gave him when she moved away, and I love sitting at it and remembering the feeling of spending time every weekend at her house; I still see her every few months but I’ve been missing her more lately because it’s been a while.

My desk, till recently, was the cheapest, simplest model you could imagine, particle board from a big-box store, and given to me for free by a friend from grad school. She just recently published her first book and the desk seems a little more magical because of that; still, a friend who just moved here from China needed furniture, and we could live without the extra desk, so I gave it to her. Husband and I want to (long-term) trade in the cheapish versions of furniture that have characterized our days thus far for more sturdy pieces that fit with the old-house charm of our place, so it made a lot of sense to give the desk a good home and start a search for a more antique one.

This search took Husband, me and our friend C to a local flea market, a big sprawling yard-sale of a flea market with literal piles of furniture and appliances, all slightly dusty but with people more than willing to sell them to us. We saw a variety of desks, but the one that caught our eye was this corner desk, originally 75 but haggled down to 50, that also just managed to fit perfectly in the corner of the room where we planned to put it. The story of it is pretty cute, but it also got me thinking about how I make space for things like writing in my life.

Sure, I have to take the time out of the day to write blog posts, but I also need to take space – literal space – when I can. If every inch of every surface in my house is covered in bills or dirty dishes or even crocheting projects, I will not settle in and work on my writing. The same is true for any hobby that you might dream of making more than that; the space has to be there, even if you live in a tiny apartment and share it with a lot of people. Even if that space is your pillows propped up under a notebook on your bed, you’ve got to do it or other things will keep taking your mental space. I hope that this desk helps remind me to take physical and mental space to write, when I can.

23 comments on “Making Spaces for Writing… and Other Life Needs

1. I love your corner desk! Great find 🙂

2. My writing space used to be Starbucks, but nowadays, it’/ either in a hotel room or in my bedroom. My favourite writing place in those settings is always on the bed.

Liked by 3 people

3. Such a great idea that I have never really thought of before. I’m thinking I need to create a space of my own to write as well! Thanks for sharing 🙂

4. Cute! We’re looking to upgrade our desk at some point, but unfortunately most antique desks aren’t too conducive to desktop computers. We could have picked up an awesome roll-top desk at an auction for about $40 a few weeks ago, but we just didn’t have use for it.

5. Wish you good luck and blessing with new desk.

6. orcaland says:

We have two perfectly functional desks in our house but I almost always end up sitting at the dining room table. When I need to gather my thoughts I look out at birds & sky & water.
    I look forward to your posts — especially the recipes !!

7. tcriggs says:

Beautiful! I love the history of those ‘found’ things! 🙂 very cool desk.

8. Mel & Suan says:

Very good to hear that lots of people still write – as in using a pen. Will we ever be able to blog post with a hand written piece?

Liked by 3 people

9. Such a lovely post – I do love a desk!

10. Jeyran Main says:

You have a very beautiful website. I look forward to coming back and reading more. Please stop by mine and if you like, follow back.

11. Oh I urgently need a writing space, just somewhere to sit and clear my head 🙂 Lovely post 🙂

12. bikurgurl says:

What a wonderful story! I really love your take on your writing and am uncluttering surfaces {as soon as I can tear myself away from reading blogs!!} — so happy I stopped by!

13. Love the corner desk. Makes me nostalgic to use a pen…I use an IPad! Thanks for following my blog.

14. vishal4u says:

All the best for your writing and you really got a good desk.😃

15. prior.. says:

like the desk and even more – the words about carving out a tangible space to write. For me – it is the yard when weather permits – and then a few spots indoors.
    by the way – I really like your blog….

16. danyadarling says:

Yes, you’re so right. Thanks for the reminder.

17. erinmacminn says:

Love that desk! It’s got a great vibe.

18. Beautiful warm and inviting antique desk. May always be inspired! Thanks for following Totally Inspired Mind.

Paulette Motzko

19. Jealous of the space you’re creating for yourself for writing! Making a mental note to give myself permission to do the same… eventually as the budget allows 😉 glad I found you here and looking forward to learning more!

20. That’s a cool desk you got there.