Gingerbread before Autumn Truly Arrives

I have so many good memories of gingerbread. I associate it most with a college friend, S; he was so quiet and shy but I got to know him through a church group and the one thing he wasn’t shy about were sweet, spicy, snappy gingerbread men that I’d bake in the dorm kitchen and bring to events. My recipe was legendary, with the secret ingredient being butterscotch instant pudding mix. Mmmmm.

For the party last weekend, I wanted a soft, cake-y gingerbread, something simple after 7 or 8 samplings of soups. I started with this recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/12/01/my-favorite-gingerbread-men-recipe/ but I modified in a few ways: I had no molasses, so I subbed in more brown sugar and a bit of honey. I used pumpkin pie spice mix instead of the separate cloves-allspice-cinnamon, but I used the right amount of ginger! The one direction I recommend following: letting the cookie dough set in the fridge for 3 or 4 hours! I didn’t turn my cookies into gingerbread men, but they held up beautifully between fridge and oven.

I made the dough the morning of the party and baked them after running out to visit J and her rolly polly baby E; after lots of slobbering and toothless smiles, E went down for a nap and I came home and baked the cookies! They were high and puffy like I like, and though husband was disappointed because they weren’t ginger snaps (evidently I need a good recipe for those!), I thought they turned out wonderful. I’ve been eating the leftovers for days as little breakfast cookies with my coffee. They remind me of mornings in college when my church group friends would go on walks or evenings when we’d go out and watch meteors during the Perseids. A cookie companion makes cold weather more bearable, and even though Autumn hasn’t quite reared her head yet here, these cookies make me less worried about winter coming.

19 comments on “Gingerbread before Autumn Truly Arrives

1. gdavispa says:

This is a very nice looking theme you are using for your blog. Keep up the good work….

Liked by 2 people

2. Sheli Baez says:

Gingerbread is a fragrance that always gives me the warm and fuzzies. Putting these on the baking list for the Holidays!

Liked by 2 people

3. wow… these are lovely….

4. Ladybuggz says:

I always add a bit of fresh ground pepper to mine just to give it a bit of a bite!

Liked by 2 people

5. Great idea on the molasses sub…

6. Kim Smyth says:

Love ginger snaps but never tried gingerbread, plus, I need them Paleo-fied, lol!

7. Jennifer says:

My mom doesn’t like ginger, so she never let us put it in anything growing up. I don’t think I had ginger until I went to a Thai restaurant in college. I was like, “What is this flavor?? It’s amazing.” Will definitely be trying these

8. mmmmm I love recipe’s using ginger. Great for this season! APFK x

9. Beeray says:

The fragrance is divine. Ned to start making these

10. These look great. I love my gingerbread to be cake-y too. So did you just place spoonfuls of the mixture on your baking tray? Am interested to know how you achieved this look/texture.

11. Farrah says:

Looks good! 🙂

12. Konstancja says:

These look yummy! 🙂

13. You now have me day dreaming about gingerbread 🙂 And cookies haha

14. These cookies look amazing! And thanks for stopping by my blog!