The Return of Pumpkin Spice: Squash Scones/Cookies

Sometimes, the way I choose my cooking plans is crazy. For instance, when I type “pumpkin cookie shortening” into google because 1. no one makes cookies out of butternut squash and 2. I am running low on inspiration for what to make out of all this squash and 3. somehow I am out of butter AND vegetable oil in my house. Sigh. I’m a mess.

But the internet rewarded me, in the form of this recipe – http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10671/pumpkin-cookies-iii/. It has a cute backstory about a simpler time, and with a couple substitutions (adding chocolate chips, swapping pumpkin puree for mashed roasted butternut squash), the cookies were all set to go.

I made them a little haphazardly big, and because they are so fluffy and cake-y when they come out, they remind me of scones. Everyone has some cookie memories, but I have some lovely scone memories: it was one of the first things I baked all by myself, and I loved the fact that the dough was almost savory and the chocolate chips I put in them made them into a sweet treat. My sister and mother and I once shared a wonderful afternoon at a tea room drinking herbal teas and eating scones with lemon curd… it’s just one of those simple-pleasure foods, something that isn’t necessary but is rather delightful.

So these cookies/scones came with me to a little backyard campfire across town that we attended over the weekend, and they have been my quick go-to breakfast for days, and they seem inexhaustible… much like the squash from which they came, I guess. Still, if you want a treat that reminds you that fall is coming, but don’t quite want to break out the pumpkin puree yet, this is a pretty great way to get your veggies; Vitamin A and C in a cookie!

15 comments on “The Return of Pumpkin Spice: Squash Scones/Cookies

1. foodinbooks says:

Love me some scones! Though I am not a huge fan of the pumpkin spice craze, these look delicious and I can imagine them tasting wonderful on a fall morning with a cup of tea or coffee.

2. sudustories says:

Never liked pumpkin…other than for my soup..but this feels delicious…thank you for sharing 😃

3. becksbake says:

ooh I cracked out the pumpkin spice this weekend too – must be that autumnal feel in the air

4. I’d love to try these. I bet my husband would love take one with him to eat on the train early in the morning. The look scrumptious and I enjoyed reading your story about them. Yum!

5. I love scones and often make them. Just wish I could get clotted cream here

6. Shannon G. says:

Scones are one of my guilty pleasures. Whenever I go to a coffee shop, that’s what I get. Yum! Love your backstory. 🙂

7. Yum! Going to have to try this

8. evmoog says:

It is definitely time for pumpkin and the fall!!

9. calennaj says:

Mmm, these look so good.

Also, thanks for the follow. 🙂

10. Am I missing something? I cannot find the yummy looking ‘scone’ recipe. Please help …..

11. This sounds delicious! I love anything pumpkin and anytime of the year.

12. Jennifer says:

I actually have a new resolution to make a batch of scones every week, and I have a butternut squash sitting on my counter. I think I’ll try these this weekend