Food that Feels Like Freedom: Tomato and Olive Oil Toast

No lie, I’ve eaten a lot of tomatoes, greens, potatoes, and squash this season – you’d think I’d get sick of it, but I feel like I cannot get enough. And yesterday afternoon I got home from work so ready to be done for a couple days, I was jonesing for a snack that made me feel free and easy.

I turned to pan tomate, the Spanish snack I loved so much when I lived in Madrid. Two pieces of toasted bread, slices of garden tomatoes, a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt (sea salt for crunch if you have it!). The result is fresh but rich; I ate mine while chatting with Husband about our weekend plans.

What food makes you feel carefree and like you are unburdened? What do you cook when facing a weekend or just a couple luxurious free hours?

21 comments on “Food that Feels Like Freedom: Tomato and Olive Oil Toast

1. trishafaye says:

Yum! That looks really good. Now I’m hungry again.

2. See my morning post. Today’s creation is non- traditional -what- is-in-the-cupboard- pancakes. πŸ˜€ Thank you for sharing such a simple and satisfying morning dish!

3. foodinbooks says:

Delicious! I love tomatoes on toast, either with excellent olive oil or butter. Also, cream cheese with tomatoes on toast is a great option too. I’m going to make some now, because of this post! πŸ™‚

4. During the summer I always eat it!

5. Sean JS Chen says:

I completely agree. In fact, this was my favourite breakfast food when I was in Spain. Churros be damned.

6. Not a huge fan of raw tomatoes, but I do love avocado toast!

7. Lise says:

I am literally eating lightly salted tomato slices on toast while reading this post, what a coincidence πŸ™‚

8. That looks so delicious. I can’t get enough of my garden-fresh tomatoes either!

9. Kate Lester says:

It’s ironic. I was just reading about Panzanella in today’s Washington Post. I must try this while there are still “real” tomatoes available.

10. My Dad used to take a large box of tomatoes when we went away on family holidays. He made lots of fried onions and tomatoes on toast, day after day. That’s what I think of as holiday food! 😊

11. Beeray says:

I love fuss free cooking. I always turn to my homemade bread toasted with loads of cheese, tomatoes, spinach and some sausage.

12. madeleine says:

Yum! Looks delicious. My favourite snack is always fresh fruit (tomatoes included!) Just had a bunch of kiwifruits, lovely snack to have in northern New Zealand where they are in abundance. It feels good to be eating food that was grown right here and sold by a localler at the small produce store across the street from my new school, who introduced himself to me and welcomed me to the neighbourhood πŸ™‚

13. LB says:

So simple but so delicious. Love it

14. This is my kinda toast πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

15. Look so delicious! I am very intersted in that food. Thank you

16. Susanne says:

It’s a cliche but really good gelato from a local maker called Stella Luna makes me feel like I haven’t a care in the world. They make 6 dairy-free flavours that get my saliva glands all worked up just thinking about it. I also love a toasted tomato sandwich but had never thought of drizzling good olive oil on top. Simply brilliant!

17. egbertstarr says:

So simple. So good.

18. cyder222 says:

Mmm, I will have to try this.

19. […] via Food that Feels Like Freedom: Tomato and Olive Oil Toast β€” Recipe in a Bottle […]

20. Looks yummy. I will try this one. Thank you for sharing this. Thank you also for the follow. πŸ™‚