Squash Fritters (with Zucchini, Potatoes, and Onions)

We bought so much squash and zucchini, folks. I had to do something.

So I searched the internet for recipes related to squash, and found many that had the same premise: shred squash or zucchini, mix with onion and spices and egg, and fry it up in butter. This sounded LOVELY. I wanted to be a part of it.

I tried to dry the zucchini, potatoes, and squash that I wanted to use on a towel, but my house was pretty muggy so I think they didn’t get quite as dry as would have been ideal for the job. Still, I moved forward. In went two eggs, some garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper, and a whole diced onion. I mixed and I heated up butter in a pan, and…

well, it didn’t coalesce. The mush got browned on high heat, but only in a small area, while the rest clumped up and then fell apart then clumped again. It was more like a pan of overly soggy hash browns, which was fine, but wasn’t my goal. The second batch had to be better. I looked at my cabinets and what did I find but… CHICKPEA FLOUR.

I knew that fried falafels are delicious, and I wanted to keep the “healthy-ish” nature of this food by not adding in a bunch of wheat flour… so in went an indeterminate amount of chickpea flour. It helped it to clump and, once in the pan, the clumps stayed beautiful! They were flip-able and when they came out, delicious. I will say, the hash was also super tasty, just not nearly as solid and easy to eat. Also mushier. So yes, add the flour when you try this. This and the recipe we used for saag paneer have me convinced that chickpea flour works wonders.

23 comments on “Squash Fritters (with Zucchini, Potatoes, and Onions)

1. ggstratton says:

Yum. I have made them before. If I remember right I added a jalapeno or poblano. I bet the chickpea flour did work well. I will remember that.

2. This looks fantastic! I have loads of zucchini and squash on hand so I might try these!

3. Yum, and here I went and skipped breakfast. I’m now craving these.

4. vegataria says:

I’m notorious for buying squash and never actually eating it (and then mourning it’s loss when it’s gone), and that looks so. Delicious. Do you think regular flour would work just as well?

5. patsquared2 says:

I love zucchini fritters and make them too. One tip? Once shredded, put the zucchini in a dish towel (thinner cotton ones work better and twist and twist until all the water you can get out goes down the drain. It helps. And thanks for the idea with chickpea flour. Never would have thought of it. Hubby is diabetic so I try almond flour and chestnut flour. Will try chickpea flour next time.

If you want, I can post my zucchini fritter recipe on your site, too. It has a to die for avocado, fresh lemon juice and veganaise dipping sauce.

6. […] via Squash Fritters (with Zucchini, Potatoes, and Onions) β€” Recipe in a Bottle […]

7. jpeters6248 says:

Wow! These look delicious. I’m gonna have to try these for sure.

8. Can I recommend this recipe. It has become a standard for the zucchini glut season at our house and has complete meat eaters asking for seconds. http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/zucchini-fritters-dill

9. Arkensiel says:

These look delicious and sound quite easy to make. As I am a coeliac I often use chickpea flour so no problems there.

10. Arlene says:

This should come in handy once the yellow summer squash start going crazy, I think it would work for them too. I need a new use for them other then adding them to stir frys.
    Thank you for following OUR RETIRED LIFE. I hope you enjoy your visits.
    Have a nice day. πŸ™‚

11. anardella2 says:

Thanks for following my blog! These look delicious. Can’t wait to try them!

12. Julie says:

I love zucchini and I have quite a few, so I am going to try this out. It looks wonderful and yummy!

13. I love fritters. My husband usually makes fritters with leftover cornbeef with grated potato. Yours sounds like a great veggie one because I love zucchini, not sure about the squash, but I could give it a go.

14. Look and sound so good. You made me so hungry.