The Jungle in the Garden

So, I’m officially home, and to my great astonishment, the garden has mushroomed. It has exploded. It is everywhere!

Husband let me know that he’d been eating salads off the garden’s greens for the whole time I was gone, and I noticed that the basil is thick and lush again (time for more Brie-Basil Pasta, perhaps?).

The squash are almost ready to flower, and our strawberry plants remain thick and green even though they seem to have stopped flowering. The biggest growers by far, however, are the tomatoes: they’ve spread in every direction! We’ve also got two thriving pepper plants, which is good because I feel like I add bell peppers to every single recipe, and we’ve got carrots. I got impatient and tried to pull one too early a while back, so I’ve been resisting digging any of them up; I need to figure out exactly how long this variety of carrots takes to mature!

The potato barrel seems to be retaining too much moisture, but we’ve also just had a really wet month of June so far, which is bound to make them a little yellow and sad when they are in a barrel. The bush of mint seems to be thriving at the back of our yard, and our onion, while overshadowed currently by the mushrooming tomato plant, seem to still be sending up their tall thin feelers toward the sky.

When I think about how worried I was in early April that my tiny sproutlings would never take in the soil, that they’d wither immediately and die, I can hardly believe it! No matter how much fruit/veg comes out of the garden, I’m stunned at the way living things can blossom under sunshine and abundant rain. It makes me even more excited for the project we’re planning, where we’re going to add a new raised bed with a tomato trellis at the back of our yard. It gets even more direct sunlight than the current beds, which seems to bode quite well. Maybe we’ll also give our plants a little more space next year, knowing what kind of jungle can come out of just a few sprouts!

15 comments on “The Jungle in the Garden

1. I envy you! Our garden has suffered from new-baby-related neglect and a few hungry rabbits. Maybe next year. Enjoy!

2. thetwisted1 says:

I love it when flowers peak and vegetables take off! Enjoy the fresh produce!

3. jansweeps says:

Your greens look nice.

4. thelittlethingsinlife739 says:

Reblogged this on Life On The Blog. and commented:
    Love this post so interesting 🙂

5. I always feel the same way about my garden and I’m always amazed!

6. Such a beautiful garden!!!!! I would love to start one also one day!

7. […] my recent post, The Jungle in the Garden, I may have sounded very optimistic about the yield of my garden. Surely, it’s going to be […]

8. Great garden! We didn’t have the time to do much of any gardening this year. Hoping to at least get some salad greens in. 🙂

9. Christina Nifong says:

Thanks for the follow, storytellingcook! Look forward to reading about your garden/kitchen adventures, as well.

10. annika says:

We have a lot of perennials in our garden and I am always amazed at how they come to life every spring after a harsh winter. Happy Gardening!

11. Kate says:

Lovely garden! I only have a balcony but the plan for it, is to be this bushy and green as yours 🙂 I love picking up fresh herbs and veggies just few steps away!